Thursday, May 06, 2010

So, I Almost Cut Off My Finger

I've been a Substitute Teacher now for about 4 years. I have had two injuries during the past four years. Both were at school. Thank goodness for Work Med and School Insurance !

I can't say that I am the most graceful person in the land, but freaky accidents happen to me every once in a while.

Both accidents involved teaching Special Ed Students.............. maybe I should switch to the Choir Classes.................

Isn't this lovely? Sorry the photos are a little out of focus. I can't get the camera to take a clear shot when working so close up to the subject. Oh, well............deal with it! :)









This is the culprit. It's the changing table in the Special Ed. Bathroom at Parkside Elementary.
I have used this at least 10times in the past. But this time................WHACK.........



I unhooked the silver latch and started to pull down the seat part. Didn't realize my finger was right where it shouldn't be. The other teacher I was with said "oh, I've pinched my finger on that dang thing before"........I of course, think that I've just pinched the pad part. But NO!............the metal sliced right through the top of my fingernail and into my finger. The leg had snapped up and caught my finger, Nail-side down, between the leg and that hollow square VERY SHARP area...............



The Doctor gave me the choice to remove the outer part of my fingernail and then she could put stitches in the nailbed, which would reconnect the fingertip..........OUCH! NOT an option!
I figured she could use the steri-strips and I'll let the nail fall off by itself it's due time!
The finger doesn't hurt, just in case you're wondering.
I also went roller skating with Cortanie on Monday, fell and bruised my tail bone! Another freaky accident! I was standing still when my skate went out from under me and down I went.
The pain in the *** hurts worse than the finger! :)
**Can't tell you why there's so much space left at the bottom of this post........I've tried to fix it at least 5 times and I've just given up ** Again, Deal with it :)

















3 comments:

Emily said...

Sheesh! I'm so glad that your finger is (mostly) still intact. Those tip of the finger injuries hurt though, tons of nerve ending in that part of your body. The plus side is that now you can't do a single dish until it heals, you know, so that you can avoid infection. :)

Paul and Tammy said...

OUCH!!! I'm cringing right now thinking about it. That just sounds so painful

Brianna said...

Well at least it gave you a reason to give us all the bird!!! Have a good day ans we will see you soon!!!!